Brief for Expressions of Interest for Artist-led Activities to Celebrate Jane Austen
What is Time To Read?
Time To Read (TTR) is a unique partnership of 22 Library Authorities in North West England, working together to promote reading since 2002.
The NW region covers Cumbria, Lancashire and Cheshire, all of Greater Manchester and Greater Merseyside. The network’s activities are currently led by a coordinator and managed by a steering group made up of representatives from the NW Society of Chief Librarians (NW SCL), Arts Council England and The Reading Agency.
Authorities who have signed up as members to TTR benefit from the coordination of activity, support and shared resources across the NW. As a unified group, TTR can increase the quality of events and promotions, sharing resources, information and learning across the North West. This ensures we can make our current library stock and resources work harder for us, finding new ways for the public to engage with them.
Celebrating Jane Austen 2017
Each year TTR undertakes a large scale reader development project delivered in libraries across the North West.
To acknowledge the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen's death in 2017, TTR plans create a package of artistic activity that will support the 22 member library authorities across the North West, giving them a core offer with which they can form their own Jane Austen celebrations between July and December 2017.
This will include commissioning a new piece of touring theatre, a new visual art element looking at Austen’s letters and a pre-selected directory of artists with which libraries can choose to procure activity from artists who have an offer focusing on Jane Austen in some way.
What We Are Looking For
We are seeking artists, storytellers, writers, poets, creative organisations and performers who have an offer that can support the Jane Austen project in libraries who would like to be considered to be included in our artist directory.
Expressions of Interest which meet our criteria will be put to a selection panel made up from representatives from TTR who will create a directory of artist to be circulated to each of the 22 member library authorities for them to purchase activity which suites their requirements.
Please note the variety of physical library spaces across the North West in terms of size and facilities. Your work would need to be adaptable to fit these spaces. You must indicate on your Expression of Interest form any minimal technical specifics required to ensure the successful delivery of your activity.
Payment terms will be agreed between the artist and the commissioning library authority.
All expressions of interest will be considered carefully by a panel made up of members from Time To Read.
Our priorities for selection are:
- That you can address all the practical issues such as budget, insurance and that you have identified any risks and have strategies to reduce / remove them.
- You must have a bank account and be registered as self employed, Public Liability Insurance and be able to provide a UTR - (Unique Tax Reference).
- You can provide evidence of previous experience of delivering creative activities with community groups and/or young people.
- We are looking for a range of good quality engaging and innovative approaches to delivery.
- Ideas that celebrate and fit the Jane Austen theme. This could be a contemporary interpretation or exploration of her work or themes. We are not seeking just period pieces but would also welcome work pitched in a contemporary way that is relevant and relatable to library users and can be used to build new library audiences.
- Completion of the Expression of Interest form
- Confirmation that you can meet all points in the Selection Process outline above
Please reply in this instance with the EoI confirming that you to:
Clancy Mason, Time To Read Coordinator
Deadline for expressions of interest: Tuesday 9 May 2017