What is it?
A joint promotion between 22 library authorities in the North West, covering a population of 8 million people and including all Liverpool and Greater Manchester. The aim is to get people in the region reading and talking about one book. This would be in libraries but also with promotions being sought in other outlets and through radio publicity. This theme is modelled on the successful CityReads programme that started in London and will be on a similar scale. The aim for the title is for it to be “popular” with some tie in to the region but the book does not need to be a bestseller or come from a big-name author.
We will provide:
· Potential space for display in over 300 libraries, with an active membership of one million.
· Social media (#GNWR hashtag) and email promotion by library authorities.
· In addition to the assistance of the library authorities, Time To Read has a budget of around £5 000 to use as necessary.
We are looking for:
· Any format or type of book will be considered. We’re looking for one which will be likely to get popular interest which will get people talking and, ideally, reach beyond the traditional library readership. Fiction, non-fiction, modern or classic will be considered. Some themes may be politically unacceptable by some library authorities and so will not be considered, but this will be decided on a case by case basis.
· Some copies for free for the various authorities. Other possibilities include a discount for titles or paying for printing. Preference will be given for a title that is available as multi-copy loanable e-book.
· Point of sale material would be appreciated. Across the region, we would need 10 000 A5 leaflets and bookmarks, 1 000 A4 posters, and 500 A3 posters.
· As many author visits as possible. It’s understood there would be fewer visits for a “big name” author but a smaller name author would be considered if more visits could be arranged for them.
· October or November 2019. Submissions for the second half of 2020 will also be accepted.
Ian Anstice, firstname.lastname@example.org,