Brief for artwork to be used for online presence, social media and printable for fabric bags.
An opportunity for artists, designers or illustrators.
Time To Read is a partnership of people working in 22 library authorities in NW England. Our particular focus is reader development i.e. encouraging people to read more and to read more widely and of course, borrowing their reading from public libraries.
In brief, the general role of public libraries is:
• Developing reading and supporting literacy for both children and adults
• Providing information and staff to help people access it
• Supporting learning and creating informal pathways into learning
• Providing safe, accessible and welcoming community and study spaces
• Offering activities which add value, such as storytimes, help with homework, job clubs, family & local history, cultural events such as book clubs, talks
We would like an artist, designer or illustrator to design a series of three artworks that can be used to print onto cloth bags to be sold in libraries across the NW, and an adapted version of the same artwork that can be used as a header for the Time to Read website, Twitter and Facebook.
We would like the artwork to be visually striking and potentially humorous or playful and should have a positive underlying message about reading or a quote from a book. The artwork must also incorporate the Time to Read logo.
Ideas/words we liked
Below are some of the thoughts we have had already about potential content, though we are open to any other ideas.
• Where reading takes you
• Humour, quirky, imaginative.
• Library as place to think, experience the world in different ways, inform us, help us achieve goals
• Well known central figure, possibly historical or book character e.g. - Sherlock Holmes - someone reading.
• Lines from book/ book titles knitted together in a humorous way to produce a new narrative
• Journeys into the imagination
• Unfolding story- using real books/ book covers/quotations from books
• Books take you to places in your imagination- faraway places, the future, back in time
• Finding everything the library has to offer, with books as the starting point
• Include a reference to the NW region.
• Use Time to Read as a strapline itself.
All proposals will be considered carefully by a selection panel made up of staff working in different library authorities, chaired by the coordinator of Time To Read, Clancy Mason.
Our priorities for selection are:
• Proposals which demonstrate that the artist understands the role of public libraries and is inspired by books and reading
• That demonstrate that the artist can produce high-quality, imaginative and possibly humorous work
• That address practical issues such as the design specifications, timescales and budget.
Budget and Payment Schedule
A budget of up to £500 has been allocated for this project, but a lower cost will be very welcome. This is to include all research, time and three versions of the theme each for web and the printable.
Payment will be made in full on satisfactory completion and delivery of artwork.
Payment is via Blackpool Council and can take up to 30 days from presentation of invoice.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 6 January, 2016
Successful applicant notified and work begins: Thursday 14 January
Work completed and delivered
Wednesday 27 January, 2016
How to Apply
Please include the following when sending your proposal:
• Outline of your ideas, including drawings and potential text to be included
• Links to websites containing examples of previous work
You must have a bank account and be registered as self employed and be able to provide a UTR - (Unique Tax Reference).
The selected artist will be credited across a range of digital platforms and will become the property of Time To Read.
For any queries and to apply please email your proposal by no later than Wednesday 6 January, 2016
Tel: 07505 115729
Please note: I work on Tuesday and Wednesdays.